The American Academy of Dermatology has coined the term “MASKNE” to describe the common irritation and breakouts related to wearing face masks. Oil glands become occluded by dirt and debris, and irritated by constant contact of a mask to the skin, creating breakouts.
Tips from our physicians and aestheticians:
1. Wash face daily using a gentle cleanser, avoiding irritating chemicals
2. Moisturize and protect the skin daily based on skin type
3. Protect the lips
4. Avoid makeup which can occlude pores and oil glands
5. Wear a well-fitting cotton mask that is washed daily in hot water
6. Take 15” mask breaks (away from others) several times daily
Refine MD has a variety of fabulous product options to help you protect, clear, and heal your skin with these concerns in mind.
1. Try adding a serum to your routine. Serums contain highly potent ingredients that are delivered deep into the skin to treat a specific concern. You can apply to your face 1 to 3 times per day or add to your moisturizer before applying.
a. Clear Skin Willow Bark serum calms the skin and helps to detox and clarify problem areas with tea tree oil and willow bark.
b. Calm Skin Serum is helpful for those needing to reduce redness and irritation with soothing chamomile and lavender.
2. Apply a treatment masque before putting on your mask. A lot of us have simplified our routines and have stopped wearing make-up during the day - this is an excellent substitute a couple times a week. To apply, mix the masques with 1 or 2 drops of serum and gently massage into the skin.
a. Our favorites are the Clear Skin Probiotic Masque - with yogurt to moisturize and cool the skin and shea butter to replenish the skin's barrier.
b. Lotus Detoxifying Overnight Treatment - helps defend against environmental stressors and prevents water loss with lotus and jojoba oil spheres.
3. Use a moisturizer to avoid breakouts and irritation
a. Linden Calendula is a heavier treatment moisturizer that enriches and restores the skin for a radiant appearance.
b. Apricot Calendula Nourishing Cream uses flax, echinacea and aloe to heal and protect the skin.
c. Stone Crop Whip Moisturizer is a wonderful to reduce pigment while gently clarifying.
Reminder: Refine MD is donating soothing skincare kits to our frontline healthcare workers – one kit for every Eminence product sold – AND – we are selling beautiful, functional cotton masks for $10. Proceeds will provide more skincare kits to health care workers.
All Eminence Serums in stock are 30% off
All products in stock are 20% off